Sunday, May 4, 2008

Iron Man

Summer Movies are officially here! I know I wrote about Forgetting Sarah Marshall but really Iron Man is the first of the official summer flicks. Please feel free to go elsewhere for an actual, well written, review by a professional.... really go on... you're still with me? Okay, read on....



Right, so for those, like me, who don't know a thing about the Iron Man story it's okay - the film gives you all the necessary background needed without taking forever to get you up to speed. Personally I'm a fan of Jon Favreau and I enjoy his films. I was excited to hear about this film even without knowing about the story because of Favreau. I found Robert Downey Jr to be great as Tony Stark and sexy. Gwyneth Paltrow was pretty sexy too and she was impressive as hell as she ran in serious heels; and Jeff Bridges has an smile not to be trusted and is sporting an odd look: shaved head with beard... just odd. Terrence Howard was good and I loved that Favreau was Starks bodyguard.



Before the film my friends and I made some guesses as to the ratio of guys to girls = 80% men to 20% women and we were about right. And we also guessed about the 'dude' to 'geek' ratio.... which we didn't come up with an actual ratio but we had 4 'geeks' sit behind us who made us chuckle under our breath with their gamer discussions. Unofficially, I think that there were more dudes to geeks, but it was a Sat night and I guess that the ratio may have been the other way round on opening night.

This is definitely a movie to be seen in the theater on the big screen - I think that will enjoy it at home on my TV but I'll be seeing it for the second time not the first - so you gotta see it in the dark on a big screen! I really liked the special effects (especially Stark working in the laboratory scenes and the learning to fly in the suite) as much as I enjoyed Tony Starks glib attitude and one liners...

Oh yeah, I give Iron Man 4 out of 5 stars

No comments: