Friday, May 23, 2008

Girl goes on Expedition

This weekend I am visiting a universe that I have no familiarity with. Not that I’m a sheltered girl by any means but really this is going to be a unique experience for me.

Kubla Con is a really BIG Game Convention and I’m going to go and hang out with a friend that is working there ~ I’m set up to be a volunteer so I get to go and observe (the gamers that is). I think it’s going to be like going on an urban safari…


... like traveling to a foreign country where you just don’t know the language. Because unless the language is ‘old school’ video game or maybe a board game like Clue or a game of domino's I think I’m gonna be out of the loop!


I’m definitely an old school video game fan – my favorite arcade game is centipede (if you don’t know what an arcade is then you probably don’t get to Dave and Busters much do you).
To be honest I don’t play all that many online games either, just the occasional free video games online. I haven’t even played Guitar Hero like some around here who are outright addicted. As any self respecting gal with a smidgen of Pop Culture awareness I know about things like Second Life and WOW, etc but I have no first-hand experience with them….. (btw if you haven’t checked out The Guild on YouTube you really should… ;)
I’m thinking I’ll pack some binoculars to get a good look at the "gamers" in their natural habitat.
Wish me luck!

No comments: