Sunday, June 1, 2008

Kubla Con Wrap Up

So my expedition to Kubla Con was pretty fun.... and surprisingly there weren't any computer/internet games. I mean this was a con full of (mostly) men - of all ages - who were interacting with one another without an internet connection.


Throughout the hotel there were games set up like these tables.



The below game, Lost Cities, is a game the Davina purchased at the con. She graciously taught me how to play and we played three times in a row before Joe kicked me out so he could play.
It's really a fun game and I will hopefully get to play again (hint, hint Davina!)
So here you see this VERY intricate game these men set up. There was a Polynesian theme but I couldn't figure out anything else about it....
Every move the make per turn is so exact that they use rulers and measuring tapes. (On the Right picture you see the measuring tape that they were using)


These bugs were used for some kind of Starship Trouper kind of Bug VS Man game:

The below game is War Hammer 4000 - there was a lot of trouble over the con walkies about what size tables were needed to get this set up. This pictures were taken about an hour or so into set up and they were still far from starting to "play".

This game is set up to resemble the Bay Area:

This is the Peninsula up through San Francisco over the Golden Gate Bridge into Marin and then over a bridge into the East Bay...


My guess is that this particular game was played well into the morning hours.... I'm sure I was home and in bed by the time they wrapped up.

Before leaving the hotel for Davina, Joe and I found that there was a Rock Star game hooked up in one of the con rooms.... so we found a fourth person to join us and we headed there. I disastrously failed not on only the bass but also drums... but eventually we found the perfect mix: Joe (Mr Guitar Hero himself) on guitar, Davina on bass, Alex (? ~ I think that was his name) on Drums & me on vocals. We got through a few songs with some pretty high marks even! I can see why there are some folks around here just addicted to this 'game'... but I have no plans to purchase it myself.

2 comments:

Marja said...

"I mean this was a con full of (mostly) men - of all ages - who were interacting with one another without an internet connection."


Uh....the REAL question here is were they cute??!?!?!?

And as for Rock Band, I love it!!! Completely obsessed. We will play next time you are down this way :)

Dancer said...

>Uh....the REAL question here is were they cute??!?!?!?<

There were some.... But the guys that were cute were just toooo shy ~ they'd totally avert their eyes when I smiled at them. :o(

Of course it was the old dudes that tried to pick up on me when they could tear their eyes away from their toys - I mean games. ;)