Monday, May 4, 2009

Power of the Geek-T

Last summer at Comic Con I scored a few T-shirts. One of the shirts was the below Homer Simpson in Japanese t-shirt:

For me t-shirts are saved for hanging out at home, doing my gardening and gym workouts. So that's what I was off to do last week when I donned this t-shirt, I was off to the gym after work. But before getting to the gym I made a quick stop at the local Nob Hill for a couple things.

Quick Note: my work is right next to the Global Headquarters for Electronic Arts. As I drove across the street to the grocery store I noticed a car full of gamer boys behind me, they too were headed to Nob Hill, probably for dinner or a snack ~ if you know a Professional Gamer or IT Engineer you know the kind of weird hours they keep....

Anyhoo, on my way out of my car and into the store one of they guys from the other car gets my attention and tells me that he thinks my Geek-T is really cool, and proceeds to ‘Superman style’ unzip his members-only-looking jacket to point out his SpiderPig t-shirt! As if we had bonded via t-shirt!

LOL & OMG – all at once!

I walk to and from that grocery store all the time without any notice for the most part but with the power of the Geek-T it's an overwhelming draw for the inner geek, clearly.


I have another t-shirt from Comic Con two years ago that gets a fun response when I wear it to the gym. The shirt has Skeletor on the front, and that t-shirt usually gets a few “cool” comments but nothing to the degree of the Uber Geek-T that I was sporting.

At the gym I went mostly unnoticed with the t-shirt which was fine by me since I try to get in there and out as quickly as possible. However, a quick stop at Trader Joe’s before getting home resulted in another Geek-T experience but at least this time it was with the guy checking out my purchases not some random walkby. He excitedly asked me where I got the Geek-T and if I knew what it said…. In the brief minutes it took to ring up my couple things he told me that there had been a Simpson’s episode where they were in Japan and that the Geek-T must be based on that. I told him I hadn't seen that and maybe I'd look it up (which of course I haven't cause really who cares...?)


I'm not sure if I have the strength to be responsible for this much Geek-T Power.... I may need to hold off on wearing it a lot and just save it for special occasions. I think that "One Geek-T to Rule Them All" will be my new theme when I wear the Geek-T out in public next time.

1 comment:

Support Guy Joe said...

Season 8, In Marge We Trust: It's the box design for "Mister Sparkle" Japanese dishwashing detergent.