Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Another San Francisco Landmark Disappearing?

NOTE: Around February 25th I started to prepare this blog but didn't have a chance to post it. Then over the weekend I had the unexpected opportunity to go to Tonga Room on Saturday night.

Unfortunately, it was not an dining experience as I had expected and I don't have any great photos to add to this post. Interested in knowing why I don't have anything to add to this post? Well.... after a 30 minute wait for table for a party of 6 we left the restaurant.

There was a Hose-Beast of a Hostess, who was so unpleasant and rude, that after we waited and waited we took the only tables available which meant the 6 of us not sitting together. We weren't soooo far apart but still 4 were at one table and 2 were at another but the tables weren't right next to one another. When we spotted a couple sitting in the bar lounge area at a small round table that would accommodate 6 and we thought maybe they would change places with us so we could all sit together ~ instead when we asked the couple they didn't want to get yelled at again by the Hose-Beast Hostess. All we could do was shake our head...and after a quick vote at the table of 4 it was decided that we leave. In the end we went to Sushi Rock and had a great meal with the fun "Sake Sake Sake Boom!" Sake Bombs.



While it's been some time since I've been to the Tonga Room I was saddened to hear that the Tonga Room may be just become a tiki ghost.

The Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco is the home of the Tonga Room a tiki bar that has become a San Francisco icon. The indoor swimming pool is the center piece to float the band that occasionally plays through the evening. The tropical setting includes a rain storm and fantastic over the top cocktails.

There hasn't been a actual statement stating that the Tonga Room is being destroyed, plans for the Fairmont makeover don't include this landmark bar (at this time).

If you want further info ~ aside from these fun pics ~ you can read the Hotel History here.



After a great deal of searching I found these great retro cocktail menus from the Tonga Room

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no I'm so sorry the dinner plan was a bust. I feel bad recommending it to you guys. Glad you left and had a better time at the sushi place. When ever we went to the Tonga room is was always for happy hour with the buffet.

Glad we got to see you at Wondercon

Kelly

Marja said...

Aw you beat me to it!!

I was soo ready to blog about that whore of a hostess, but I never got around to it.

To bad too, because I was really looking forward to dinner at the Tonga Room. The atmosphere was soo cheesy chic that it reminded me of a bad Elvis movie.