Thursday, January 22, 2009

I love a good Dance Movie

& sometimes I like the not so good ones as well....

I don't really know where I got the DNA that makes me love pretty much all things dance. It wasn't from my mom because she's not really a fan of musicals and I don't think it's from my dad either....


Recently I unexpectedly got caught up watching Breakin' 2 - Electric Boogaloo on cable. Like all formulaic movies in the 80's this one has the same basic format along with breakdancing and a *very* young IceT raping to save a local community center.

Back in the day this film was "Rad" (or 'Bad'... whatever) and while I was enjoying it for the most part, it was this below dance-off scene that disapoints - it's really just so corny!



Watching this movie reminded me that in 1980 my birthday present from my folks was to go to the East Coast to stay with my grandmother for a week or so in the summer. (Side Note: The experience of being in New Jersey /New York in August made it clear to me that I'm not made for living in the East Coast due to the weather there - way too cold in the winter and too muggy and hot in the summer)


Anyhoo, I somehow convinced my grandmother to take me to see the Movie Fame, which had recently released, and while it kind of shocked the heck out of her, I LOVED! the film. I think it may have been a bit grown up for my age but whatever, I loved it...





Now I tend to watch, if not in a theater at least on DVD and/or cable, a lot of musical / dance movies. Recently I watched the Way She Move, which was disapointing; but I really enjoyed the final dance competion in Stomp the Yard ~ those hot gleaming biceps weren't disapointing! I have seen both Step Up movies and the dancing in those are just fantastic. & while I can't force myself to watch the sequel the original, Save the Last Dance with Julie Styles, is always enjoyable to watch.


And I have to admit that if I find Dirty Dancing playing on TV I'm easily sucked in... and for those of you who haven't given Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights a second thought you should check it out! Diego Luna was awsome and to not disapoint the original Dirty Dancing fans: Patrick Swayze makes a cameo which fit okay with the story line.


Now dance shows have permated into my TV/DVR. My top favs are So You Think You Can Dance (Fox) & America's Best Dance Crew (MTV). Depending on what's going on in my life I'll watch Dancing with the Stars - this last season the show was raised a notch for me by having Lacy Schwimmer join the dance pro's (was a finalist on Season 3 of SYTYCD as was one of my personal favorites!). Lacy was paired with Lance Bass and I enjoyed watching their performances since Lacy really brought her own personal flavor (to the general distaste to Len Goodman).


So where is all this going?? It's all about an anticipated Guilty Pleasure: Dance Flick. This dance-spoof movie will be coming out some time this year... I thought it was going to released early this year but now on imdb.com it's reflecting a Aug release date. I doubt I'll think about it too much between now and then (depending on how much advertisment there is) but it's sort of penciled in on my calendar. Luckily this spoof-film is a Wayans family project, and they do know how to do funny right (mostly). I'm really hoping to enjoy it even though I'll have to wait till August.

No comments: